PATELLOFEMORAL PAIN SYNDROM
What is Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?
Commonly known as anterior knee pain, where symptoms are felt under and around the patella (knee cap). Pain is most noticeable after prolonged sitting, when squatting, kneeling, or with stair negotiation.
What causes Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?
- Softening and inflammation of the cartilage behind the patella from abnormal motion or poor tracking
- Weakness of the muscles in the hip that abduct or externally rotate - take your leg away from your body and turn your toes out, and weakness of the medial quadriceps (VMO)
- Tightness of the muscles throughout the thigh and calf that can pull your patella out of alignment
- Improper body mechanics/posture when sitting and/or squatting
- Overuse or excessive repetitive exercises; over training.